- Obtain competitive quotations for goods or services estimated to be at least $500 but less than $1,000
- Obtain competitive bids for goods or services estimated to be $1,000 or more
- Professional services (e.g., legal, architectural, engineering) are exempt from competitive bidding requirements, but the village frequently issues Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for these services at its discretion.
The village primarily utilizes the Michigan Intergovernmental Trade Network (MITN) bid system for its purchasing needs when competitive bids, competitive quotes, or proposals are needed for the village to purchase goods or services. Vendors are required to register on the MITN bid system to submit bids, quotes, or proposals, and registration is free of charge.
MITN also provides a "value-added" optional automatic notification service for an annual fee that permits MITN to notify your company by E-mail automatically whenever a bid opportunity is available related to your company's products or services. This E-mail service covers bid opportunities for the Village of Lake Orion as well as all other public agencies which utilize MITN.
From the MITN web site, you can:
- REGISTER AS A VENDOR OR VIEW LAKE ORION BID OPPORTUNITIES on the Michigan Intergovernmental Trade Network (MITN) bid system to be able to view Village of Lake Orion bid opportunities and submit quotes or bids for products and services being purchased by the Village of Lake Orion
- BROWSE THE MITN BID SYSTEM for opportunities to submit a bid or quote to other public agencies
The village is also a member of the State of Michigan MiDEAL Purchasing Program and periodically waives local competitive bidding in favor of utilizing the state bids. Vendors are strongly encouraged to register with the MiDEAL program to ensure enhanced opportunities to do business with the village and other units of government.
The village may also periodically opt to utilize other governmental bids rather than engaging in its own competitive bid process when the village council deems it to be advantageous to the village to do so.